Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Vegetables


It's weird when you start to truly realize the discrepancy between the person you are, and the person you sort of wish you were. I don't mean on any deep level, just on a more superficial, things you'd "like to do" level.

I was reminded of that yesterday on Salon, when I saw this, a story about a woman who grew a garden and nothing but locally grown food for a year, presumably for environmental reasons, but also just to pay, and draw more attention, to America's eating habits.

I love the story. I always fantasize about one day having a big garden that I tend to, and where I grow fresh veggies and herbs, and cook sumptuous stews and meals from what I've grown, and it's delicious and I feel really good about it.

I can't even keep houseplants alive. I'll never be a gardener. That kind of makes me sad. And furthermore, I never even shop at the Farmer's Market on the weekends, which I've pretty much wanted to do ever since I moved to Austin. I love the idea of that lifestyle. It seems cozy, and reeks of a settled domesticity.

Eh, maybe someday I'll be that person when I'm older and need more hobbies.

No comments: