Monday, June 09, 2008

Tagged for Songs

I was tagged by Bryan. The rules:

List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they’re listening to.


(In the interest of full disclosure, I pretty much only listen to singles and certain songs off records now. I couldn't even tell you the last time I bought a CD, and my musical taste has become very pedestrian.)

"Paper Planes" by M.I.A.
I don't know anything about this song; someone put it on a mix for me recently, and I can't get enough of it. Bryan has some interesting background on it on his list.

"4 Minutes" by Madonna
Whatever. This song is fucking awesome. I love the little horns sample.

"The Greatest" by Cat Power
Used to excellent effect in My blueberry Nights recently, and everytime I listen to it, I get that bittersweet feeling in my gut.

"SOS" by Rihanna
Any song that can get me to actually listen to "Tainted Love" without wanting to shoot myself in the head and jump out a stained-glass window is all right by me.

"The Way I Are" by Timbaland
Rules. End of story.

"Here Comes the Sun Again" by M. Ward
This song just makes me feel good. I love listening to it while I drive with the windows down.

"Breakin' Up" by Rilo Kiley
I've never listened to Rilo Kiley before, but I know I'd like them. Again, this song was on a mix. But it's so damn catchy. I need the record.

I can't tag 7 people without including people Bryan has already tagged, so I'll just do a few: Tom; Ruth; Meredith.

2 comments:

RC said...

fun list of songs...sounds like a good mix CD.

jHo said...

OH MY GOD PAPER PLANES BY MIA IS AWESOME! I've got David hyped on it now too.

That song is such a great statement, most people don't understand it, they hear the gunshots and think its some silly song condoning violence or something. But it isn't at all. I've read several interviews with MIA and shes said the song is basically a tounge in cheek reference to racial and social profiling. Like people see immigrants and assume they are up to no good, want to rob them, kill them, etc...when most of them are just trying to live happy lives like anyone else. So she just decided to make a song that says "yea, i want to rob you, i make fake passports, i'm a criminal...sure..."

She's performed it on late night talk shows and they;ve made her edit out the gunshots! How lame!

Get both her albums, Kala and Arular. The beats are great and her perspective on world issues is really interesting.