Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Very spacious with lots of room for guests

I have a home in Portland! The rub, unfortunately, is that it's not available for living until September 6th, which leaves me homeless for slightly over 2 weeks after I'm there, but that's okay. Jody has lots of room for me.

Anyway, Collier says it's worth it. It's in the Hawthorne neighborhood, just across the river from downtown. It's a 4-plex, built in 1929, all hardwoods, big windows (which have all just been replaced with double-pane energy efficient ones), a working fireplace, arched doorways, built-in bookshelves, a small green space outside, and a shared basement with washer and dryer. It's one block from the major buslines, and the whole neighborhood is apparently very compact and dense with lots of awesome stuff to walk to, including several food co-ops. And it's pretty inexpensive, especially for the neighborhood.

So yay! I feel better now, a huge burden lifted from my shoulders, knowing I now at least have a place to live. The fact that I'm leaving has really sunk in this week, especially since today was my last day of work. I was ecstatic to be leaving, but I'll really miss some of the people there, and that was sad. My manager gave me a really sweet card with his contact information in it, and my friend Jake, who's a major cyclist, is giving me a $75 helmet, and $40 u-lock for my new bike I'm going to buy when I get up there. Which I was very touched by. He said he just had them lying around and he would love to let me have them. And lots of people, as they were getting off their shifts, came and said bye to me and gave me big hugs. I felt very loved.

So here are the photos from the Craigslist ad of my new house. Come visit me!!







3 comments:

Mandy said...

Looks cute! I love the big fireplace, and it looks like there's a window in the kitchen. I've always wanted a kitchen with a window. I like this quote from the wiki entry: "Historically, the district has been populated by Generation X and hippies, and more recently, hipsters." Have fun!

ryan said...

Yes, Tom and I were laughing about that last night. Also, I really enjoy that the neighborhood is named after the guy that opened Portland's first mental hospital and Hawthorne Blvd used to be called Asylum Avenue and was later deemed insensitive. How awesome is that?

Victor said...

Sweet - now we have to place to stay when we visit.