Thursday, March 30, 2006

Everything. Everyone. Everywhere. Ends.

Yesterday Chris and I started watching season 5 of Six Feet Under. We've been planning to watch it together for weeks now, and he ordered it on Netflix a long time ago. He got a message yesterday that discs 2, 3 and 4 were on their way, but there was a wait for disc 1. So, being probably as obsessive about it as I am, he went on a city-wide trek to find disc 1, but no one in town had it. When I got home from school at 3:30, I tried one last place, and they had it!!!! So I rushed to the Movie Store and picked it up, and went to Chris' house.

We're the biggest geeks. Before we started watching it, we walked to the gas station and got some snacks (beer, Gatorade, ice cream and peanuts). Then we pulled down the blinds and settled in on the couch for the first 2 episodes. We commented on how much we loved the opening sequence and when Lili Taylor's name popped up as a guest star, we both groaned. "That's not a character they need to bring back," Chris muttered. I agreed.

As the first episode began unfolding, everything seemed off. A little too stable, maybe. I started to get worried that maybe everyone on the show was too happy, or content, and the show had suddenly lost its steam. Who wants to watch Six Feet Under without neurosis, misery and suffering? That's what the show is all about. Turns out my fears were unfounded: within 20 minutes, the catastrophe and heartache were already being piled on. Whew. I breathed a sigh of relief. Brenda's still completely miserable, Nate's still a total shithead, Billy's still crazy. Ruth's character has seem to taken a very interesting turn towards bitterness and regret since last season ended, and I have to say I'm not crazy about the direction Clare's heading. But we all saw it coming. I hope it doesn't last. But Keith and David's relationship seems to have taken a sweet, tender turn, which makes me happy. They both need to get over themselves and just be fucking happy already. Or break up. Jesus. David had a great line in the first episode. One of their clients at the funeral home is a woman who died by getting stabbed in the eye by her husband. David took one look at her corpse and said, "That's what happens when couples don't learn how to fight." *Sigh*

I'm aware of a couple of pretty major plot points this season, and I'm very excited to get into it. I think Chris and I are going to try to have a marathon at some point over the weekend, or next week, maybe. We can both sit and watch at least 5 or 6 episodes at a time. I love it. Although I'll be really sad when it ends.

No comments: