Friday, March 24, 2006

I Just Might Find I'll be Killing Time for Eternity

Wow, I suppose it's been awhile, hasn't it? 2 weeks, to be exact. My "new" laptop has been all kinds of fucked up, and after taking it to the stupid fucking "Genius Bar" at the Apple store in the Barton Creek mall three times last week, on Saturday they finally sent it off to be repaired. But I got it back last night, and everything seems to be working beautifully, including the new keyboard and my new Airport card I bought for it. Having true wireless is very exciting. But I suppose that's a bad excuse, as I have access to computers at school (where I am now, in fact) and the library.

To be honest, I've been quite busy and had lots going on, but I feel really weird about all of it for some reason. Greedy, I guess, like I just don't feel like sharing much these days. Partly I guess it just doesn't seem like it would be that interesting to people, but partly I've also just been very wrapped up in my own head.

Collier left yesterday to go back to California. I'm inordinately sad about it, but the full heft of not being able to call her up and see if she wants to have dinner, or have her call me to drink whisky and play pool (or whatever) hasn't yet sunk in, I don't think. I'm used to her coming and going, but she was here for almost a year this last time, and I got really comfortable having her around. But she needs to move on, even though I already miss the shit out of her.

I've also gone to 2 orientation sessions for some volunteer work I'm going to start doing with Project Transitions, and in turn, Doug's House and at Roosevelt Gardens. This was all originally through the GLBTSA club at school, but ironically enough, none of them showed up to the orientations (it's ironic, I guess, because I haven't gone to a single GLBTSA meeting, though I'm on their mailing list, and their President is in my Personality class and I talk to him occasionally). They only do them once a month, so everyone else from the club that's interested is supposed to be going to those. Anyway, at Roosevelt Gardens we were planning to do some general maintenance, upkeep, landscaping, stuff like that, and provide a monthly meal/social gathering for the residents to come and mingle with one another and get out of their apartments. We're helping to foster a sense of community there. A lot of people living there have gone through some really rough times, and feel very isolated from their friends and families and are trying to get back on their feet from some pretty devastating blows, so anything we can do to help facilitate that would be nice.

Independently, however, I also want to start volunteering at Doug's House, which is a hospice. The work there would certainly be less glamourous and much more taxing, both emotionally and physically, but it also seems quite rewarding. They're both run by the same people, and there's a special orientation for that one on Saturday, which I unfortunately can't attend because I'm working. But I can go to the one next month. It's a little scary deciding to commit my time to this stuff, for a lot of reasons. There are risks, both emotional and physical (though having sex, with anyone, is probably riskier than working at Doug's House, even though "exposure" is possible, and does happen), but I think it will be worth it. If nothing else, I need to start padding my resume, and secondly, I need to start getting experience with this stuff and learning how to really deal with it on a day-to-day, reality-based basis. I do, in fact, deal with it in my life on a day-to-day basis now, as many of you know, but it's a little bit different than in this capacity.

Anyway, Clay was here last week for SXSW, and stayed with me for a few days. It was nice seeing him again. I acted in one of Laura's films (in a part she wrote just for me - "A slight gay man, wearing a spectacular pair of aviator sunglasses" -) which is nice. And it was fun to shoot.

Hmmm. I can't really think of much else to write about. There's 5 weeks in Mexico coming up, which will be really fun, I think. But it's about time to get to class, so that will have to wait.

Also, Karen's coming in tonight, and staying with me!!!!!!!! I'm so excited. We barely got to talk at all last time she was here, but tonight will be a whole night of talking, whisky and cuddling. I can't wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ME TOO