Friday, February 08, 2008

I Heart PowerPoint!

I've never really made a PowerPoint presentation before. I had to make one for my internship class last summer, but Matt basically made it for me; I just told him what to put on it.

This week, however, I was required to make two of them for presentations I had to do in both my science class (about dinosaurs), and in my Global Processes class. We're currently studying Africa and the Orient (particularly in relation to Western culture), and I had to do something dealing with that. But on whatever subject I wanted. So I chose the history of homosexuality in Africa and the Orient to do my presentation.

Last week I had so much anxiety about both presentations. I was terrified of PowerPoint, and technology and I don't get along. I don't understand it, I'm afraid of it, it frustrates me, and I find it totally confounding. Which, honestly, is one reason I gave up filmmaking. I didn't have the patience to truly learn the technical aspects of it.

So this past weekend I sat down at my computer, fired up PowerPoint, and went to work.

And you know what? It's really fun. This is why I want to be a teacher.

You can put whatever you want on there! Whatever text, whatever pictures, in whatever order you want, arranged however the accompanying lecture suits you. You can be as creative as you want. It's like forcing people to spend 15 minutes in your brain. With text and photos.

Both presentations are very rudimentary and basic, but hey, they're the first two I've ever really made. This is pretty much the first time Ive ever played with software and been excited about it.

I know, I'm sure everyone else is like, "Dude, I thought PowerPoint was cool, like, 10 years ago."

Whatever. It's new to my feeble brain. I wanna make PowerPoint presentations all the time now!

No comments: