Monday, March 24, 2008

Afternoon (non)delight

Does anyone else besides me have specific times of day that they just sort of inherently hate? For me, it's the late afternoon/early evening. Between, like, 4pm and dusk is my worst time of day. It's always the time of day I get depressed, or lonely, or really bored. Maybe my grandparents were really on to something when they always took naps this time of day.

The real irony of it is that despite how much I love sunshine and warm weather, I only really hate this time of day during daylight savings time. When we "spring forward" I always kind of dread what I know is coming: more sunlight, longer afternoons, and my afternoons of depression. I don't know why this doesn't affect me in the winter in the same way, but it doesn't. It's almost like reverse SAD. Although I'm not sure either of those really apply when we're talking about winter in Central Texas.

I love the morning, and I love nighttime (for the most part). Another reason I hate daylight savings time is because it's often still dark when I wake up in the mornings, which is never any good. I like to be dragged from bed by the sun (and a strong pot of coffee).

Of course, between 4pm and dusk is also the hottest part of the day, it's the part of the day when traffic is the worst, and it's the part of the day when you start getting tired. So maybe all of those things affect how I feel too. I first really noticed this when I was living in Dallas, and ever since then it's been an issue.

I can't really explain it. But I know at least one other person who feels the same way I do, and often even takes 2 and 3 hour naps this time of day, because she also gets really depressed in the afternoons. We both got kind of excited when we realized that the other one suffered the same affliction.

No comments: