Thursday, February 23, 2006

Escape to New York

So, I've decided: I'm moving to New York this summer. Not permanently, just for the summer. In all likelihood, just for July and August, in fact. Collier is going to be house-sitting for her friend Ruth, who is going to be in Argentina all summer. Collier needs a roommate, and Ruth lives in Prospect Heights, so the chips are already falling into place. The only logistical hurdle I see is subletting my apartment for 2 months. But hopefully that won't be a problem. And what to do with Littlejeans. I'm a little concerned about that as well.

I love Austin, but sometimes (well, just lately) I feel like I'm being slowly suffocated here. I haven't spent any significant amount of time outside of this city in 7 years and I desperately need a change of scenery, some new stimulation. In the past I've had a habit of running away from things I don't want to deal with, and since "settling" here in Austin, I haven't really felt that urge too too much. But I'm feeling it now. I don't want to move, so I think just spending the summer someplace else would be just the trick. It's an exciting prospect and I'm really looking forward to it. I have somewhat of a love/hate relationship with New York, and last time I was there was August, and I thought it was miserable. So hopefully I'll be thrilled to return to Austin in September, rejuvenated and refreshed, happy to be Home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Beans - she'll have to have a surrogate daddy or mommy! I'm sure you'll figure something out. I think it would be really fun to live in NYC a summer... especially if you could get some kind of great, super high paying internship... but a deli job would work as well.

Anonymous said...

Do super, high-paying internships exist? I think I'm jaded because I'm at this crux of deciding whether to work a job that pays or keep hunting for the job in a field I want to be a part of. Right now I'm doing both - temping at the well-paying job, but sending out resumes constantly for more fulfilling work.
Ryan, moving here for the summer will be fantastic for you. I think you should do it. Things will work out if you want them to/make them.