Sunday, May 06, 2007

The tourists come and look at us

In a recent post on my friend Mark's blog, he talked about settling in at night with his wife, my other friend Kat, getting their favorite snacks and junk food, and watching their favorite trashy television shows together, and that this is what marriage was all about.

I'm pretty sure he meant that in a good way. Because they're with their favorite people: each other. I found this one little line incredibly sweet and more romantic than a million flowers or rings, and also, to me, what's always defined a great relationship. What I miss the most about living with my "significant other" (boyfriend, partner, lover, whatever you want to call him) is the exact same thing. I miss preparing little meals together, watching dumb TV and falling asleep on the couch. That probably sounds like death to most people, but it's not like this is all that our lives entailed. It was just those...quiet moments that you can share with someone that make relationships so great. Those times when you could easily be alone, and probably be okay with it, but it wouldn't be the same. It wouldn't have that comfort and that peace, and your trashy shows wouldn't be nearly as fun.

But you don't have to be in a romantic relationship with someone to have that. My roommate and I have a fairly regular routine every night of watching The Daily Show and The Colbert Report together. Watching these silly shows is often what precipitates many of the conversations we have.

Lately, though, Jon and Stephen have been relegated to second-class citizens by Dylan because it's basketball season, and I've done a lot of watching of Jon and Stephen by myself, and you know what? It's not nearly as fun to watch by yourself. I mean, it's mildly amusing, but it's not as much fun to laugh by yourself, and you can't comment on the jokes they make, or the stories they talk about.

All of which is to say, for Dylan's sake, I hope the Jazz does well, but for my own selfish reasons, I hope they lose soon. I want my Daily Show buddy back.

No comments: