Monday, September 10, 2007

People get "road rage" because driving is just about the most unnatural act ever.

I just went to drop off my rent check. The landlord's office is about 3 blocks from my house, but because it's on one of Austin's busiest roads, and there are no sidewalks or crosswalks, I drive there. And obviously, it's closed at night, so I can't just walk late at night when there's no traffic. Which I would happily do.

Well, today, it took me 15 minutes to drive back home.

Let that sink in.

15 minutes.

3 blocks.

And people really prefer this over public transportation and walkable cities? Really? Could you even begin to argue with those people, or is it like religion, where these people's brains operate in such an inconceivable fashion that it would be impossible to sway them in any way?

My #1 criteria for the next place I live is adequate public transportation. I seriously can't tolerate traffic much longer. Especially in the heat. I just can't do it.

My worst nightmare.

No comments: