Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Tag, I'm it!

I was tagged by Meredith.

Make a list of five strengths that you possess as a writer/artist. It’s not really bragging, it’s an honest assessment (forced upon you by this darn meme). Please resist the urge to enumerate your weaknesses, or even mention them in contrast to each strong point you list.

First off, I'm very flattered to have been tagged, as I don't really consider myself much of either, but here goes:

1. First of all, I feel that I have a pretty acute sense of insight into human nature, emotion, frailty, and motivation. In other words, what I lack in intelligence, I think I make up for in wisdom.

2. I like to think of myself as pretty intuitive. I can pretty easily read people's emotions, and pick up on vibes, non-verbal cues, etc. This is handy when creating "subtext." (Also, this probably comes in real handy when being a parent.)

3. I don't consider myself much of a creative writer anymore, but when it comes to non-fiction writing, being in school has helped me tremendously. I'm much better at putting together a case, argument, history, what-have-you, for whatever I need to talk about. Given enough time. I'm not great at doing it off the cuff, but I don't think most people are. But give me a few hours, some research materials, and I can make a pretty good case for just about anything, I think.

4. I'm constantly questioning and analyzing, and rarely is an answer sufficent enough. This, by the way, could also be seen as a fault, especially as it applies to real life.

5. I've never really had that crippling fear of rejection that most artists get. I've always pretty much created exactly what I wanted to create and put it out there, and didn't really care much if people criticized it. I make art I would want to see/read, and that's good enough for me. In fact, most of my artistic ideas come from things that I want but that I either can't find, don't exist, or someone has already done, but not in a way that's satisfactory to me.

No comments: