Monday, January 09, 2006

1 day of school down, a whole bunch more to go

So, I can now officially lay to rest my "first day of school jitters." It was great, and while it's hard to get too much of a feel for how the classes are going to be (except my American Experience class, which, I have a feeling, is going to require lots and lots of homework), I had a good time today.

The best story, I suppose, is my Gender Studies class. It was first, at 8 am, and when I walked in, there was this bald, quite old (like, 70's old) man wearing a fancy tie, totally geeking out with some girl in the class about opera: talking about their favorite ones, have they seen this or that. And yes, the flamboyant, old, gay man is the professor. Turns out, the entire semester is dedicated to "American, gay male writers," including my favorite author, James Baldwin. So naturally I go to his office after class to tell him how much I love James Baldwin and how thrilled I am that we're going to be studying him. So we end up getting into, like, a half hour conversation about writers and movies. He's awesome and slightly deaf, so he's pretty funny. He kind of makes a joke out of it.

Anyway, he was totally intrigued that I made films, and wants to see black-eyed, for a possible screening in class, in our James Baldwin discussion!!! It's a match made in Heaven, but I'm pretty reticent about showing that in class, for obvious reasons that anyone that's ever seen it would understand. So on Wednesday I'm taking him that, and my DVD copies of Burnt Money and Far From Heaven, both of which he's heard of, but never seen. (Hopefully I'll get them back.) He's bringing me a movie too, that he loves, which I saw in college and hated, but I'd already shot down several movies he mentioned, and hadn't seen most of the others. The guy wanted to share something, so I let him.

And aside from all that, I actually really enjoyed my Spanish class, and I think I'll like the other 2, but the jury is still out on my Theories of Personality teacher too. She seems a little dull, but I'm withholding judgement until further notice. The first day is always sort of boring.

But it was fun, and I'm really looking forward to getting in-depth on all of this. Right now I'm tired and slightly overwhelmed, but I'll get into the swing of things soon. Lots of possibilities....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i thought about you all day. i am glad you had fun.