Thursday, January 12, 2006

A few observations from my second day of school

1. I was urinating in the library between classes and noticed that to my left, built into the wall, was an ashtray. One of those cool, old-fashioned kinds that have the 2 pieces that open in the middle when you push the little lever, and then your cigarette butt falls down inside it. Obviously you can't smoke in the library now, but I found that so curious that at one point smoking was so ubiquitous that you could even stand at the urninal in the bathroom of the library and puff away. Jesus, no wonder our whole society is riddled with cancer.

2. I will never, ever work out at the gym there. It's in the gymnasium building, where the basketball court is, and it's totally open-air. There are always basketball players and stuff in there working out, and there are actually classrooms in the building too (I have a class in there; it's actually sort of depressing and feels like high school), and everyone has to walk by the gym to get to the classrooms and can see everybody in there working out. No thanks. I'm much too shy for that.

3. I was totally dreading taking Spanish, but i think I'm going to love that class. My teacher has a really fun, creative way of teaching that encourages lots of participation and she's really funny. Which is good, I need to know Spanish.

4. Drum circles are still alive and well among undergraduates on America's campuses.

5. Giant sunglasses that take up most of your face are totally in. Not that we didn't all already know that, but I'm just confirming it.

And last, but not least, I think I have my first Campus-Crush. It's this dude that I saw 3 different times yesterday. He's really tall and skinny, and has dark hair, and black-rimmed glasses and looks like a total geek. I'm sure these details are shocking. He actually looks like he could be old enough to be a grad student, too. I must try to learn more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad things are going well. Guess you'll be keeping that 24 Hour Fitness membership, huh?
Find a study partner for Spanish that you can hang out after class and drink wine with. I aced Spanish II in college because I'd go hang out with these guys Aaron and Zach and drink wine and practice speaking. They were total stoners, but we had fun hanging out, getting drunk and trying to speak spanish. And we all 3 got A's.
Don't get all Veronica Mars and start tailing your new crush to the detriment of your studies, now.

Anonymous said...

Dude, that sounds exactly like my campus crush in Ireland, Niall O'Driscoll. I love tall, skinny geeky-looking dudes. Obvs.

ryan said...

I saw him again yesterday. He's always in such a hurry!