Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Hell has officially frozen over

Let it be known from this day forward, that Ryan C. (that's me!), who can barely add up 2+2 without somehow coming up with 5, loves Statistics.

I love it.

I just spent the last 2 hours in a coffee shop near my house reviewing for my test tomorrow, which, if you'd asked me 3 days ago how confident I felt about it, I would have told you maybe 25 (on a scale of 1 to 100), but for which I now feel about 97.

I don't know what happened; something clicked, something made sense, I stopped trying to make it so difficult, and it just worked. Studying just now, I just kept doing more and more problems, going over the formulas again and again, long after they had made perfect sense to me, because I thought it was fun.

I think doing statistics is really fun.

And satisfying, in a really tangible way.

I have to give credit where credit is due, however, and much of that credit lies with Mr. Victor, who talked to me on the phone Monday night for almost 40 minutes, helping me make sense of it all. And he did a really great job of simplifying it for me, and helping me untangle all my confusion. So thank you, Victor.

And you know, I would still be sitting at that coffee shop right now, still just going over formulas and computing information, if I hadn't had to come home to eat and then go to work.

I'm feeling weirdly high right now. And very confident. I totally understand now the kind of satisfaction that math and science geeks get from this stuff.

1 comment:

karen said...

Yay! That's an exciting step! I wish someone could do that for me and calculus. I failed Calc in high school and then after college decided I wanted to learn it because I wanted to study (or at least be able to understand) astrophysics. I bought a teach yourself calculus book, but it never took.
I think it's yet another sign that you made the right decision and you're on the right path.