Thursday, September 07, 2006

Queer as in "strange?"


The Advocate this week has a cover story this week on my new obsession, Nip/Tuck, and more specifically, on the new "gay" direction Julian McMahon's character seems to be going.

Although I think it's interesting that the Advocate calls it television's "queerest" series, unless they're using it in the context of the true definition, which is "strange or odd from a conventional viewpoint." Recently I decided that I was going to start using the word queer in its original context as well, which I've managed to do fairly successfully, though I always feel like I have to qualify its use, by clarifying that I don't mean "gay."

Anyway, as far as I know, and I've seen every episode thus far, Nip/Tuck has never had an overtly gay character on the show, unless you count their anesthesiologist, who is an out and proud lesbian, but only about, oh, one show ever has focused on her love life. Which was with a transexual.

Which brings me to another point, which is that Nip/Tuck does have an inordinate amount of storylines involving transgendered people, starting with a major one in season 1, where the doctors were fixing surgeries that another hack doctor was botching, by preying on poor men who wanted the operations. Then season 2 had Dr. Mcnamara's son accidentally falling in love with one, then season 3 had a through-story about how a 17-year-old boy (his son) deals with realizing he was actually in love with a man and coming to terms with that(apparently it's by engaging in gay-bashing and flirting with Nazism), although I think the story-line was handled very delicately and smartly.

Well, I'm very curious to see where this whole gay thing goes on the show.

No comments: