Thursday, January 11, 2007

When you hear temptation call, it's your heart that takes the fall



So, do ya'll remember "Toy Soldiers" by Martika? Man, I used to love that song! I heard it on the radio tonight driving home, but only, like, the last half, and I was really pissed, so I immediately came home and found the video on YouTube.

So, what's this song about anyway? Is it really just about drugs? That seems too obvious. Is it supposed to be a metaphor for bad relationships? What's with the first verse about inviting him to stay, and never knowing he would stay so long? Does she mean the drug habit? But then there's the dude in the video who seems to be seducing young girls. Then I thought maybe it was about abortions, but no, I don't think that really fits either. There's also the requisite shot of her at the end running up and then slamming herself against the wall that's totally awesome. When I was a kid, when she says, "only emptiness remains," I always thought she said "only empty nests remain," because a friend of mine who was two years older than me (that I fucking worshipped) told me that's what she said, and that the song was about kids going off to college and leaving their parents alone. Hmm. Somehow I don't think that's what it's about.

No comments: