Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Aqui

I'm here. I've been having a serious internal debate about whether to actually start "blogging" or not yet, since I don't have a whole lot to say at this point, but I am. Mainly because i've gorged myself on breakfast (food here is cheap! I got eggs, bacon, a huge bowl of fruit, a bottled water and a large coffee for $4.50!), had a tour of campus, taken a relaxing shower, and I don't have to be anywhere for another 30 minutes. I'm exhausted, and I'm afraid if I lie down on my bed I'll never get back up.

I managed to get some sleep on the bus here, mainly between about San Marcos and Laredo, but not much after that. And somewhere just before dawn, the bus driver turned on the radio. Really loud. It was just talk radio, and it was in Spanish, so I could sort of drown it out, but not really. Not to mention the bus was about 20 degrees. My muscles were literally tensed up when I finally got off from my excessive shivering.

But other than that, everything's great. Our professor arranged for the St. Eds students to arrive a day before everyone else, so the campus is fairly empty, and my roommate won't be here until tomorrow. Which is great, because that means I'll sleep well tonight, and I can sit here and write in my briefs, comfortably. Just like I would at home.

There's a lot I want to say, but I'm lazy, so I won't. I'm already incredibly glad I'm here, and am so excited about the prospects. The professor gave us an informal campus tour (this campus is amazing; there are peacocks and ducks and deer just walking around; they just live here). His enthusiasm is infectious. He started this St. Edwards-Monterrey summer program 13 years ago, so it's his baby. And you can tell he just loves doing it, and sharing his experiences and knowledge and youthful energy. We have registration at 1 today, and then some orientation tomorrow, but tomorrow afternoon, he's going to take us downtown and show us around. They also offer free "recreational" classes while we're here, like salsa dancing, guitar lessons, sports stuff, whatever. I can't wait to check out that list. I guess I'll get to do that tomorrow. And within a mile of campus are many restaurants, 2 movie theaters, a large supermarket, tons of shopping, and a mall.

I'm gonna have a good time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad you're liking it so far. I'm jealous!