Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I found what I needed on the seashores of old Mexico

Tonight at work there were a bunch of fat, Mexican workmen hanging around doing some much-needed fix-ups to the bakery. One of them, however, I have to say, really caught my eyes. Which brings me to reveal one of my strange, idiosyncratic turn-ons: which is stocky, 30-something Mexican men. I don't know why, but for some reason, I often find them very attractive. I think it also has something to do with the fact that most of them work in physical labor, and again, blue-collar: fuckin' hot. Ultimately for a relationship, mental labor is much more attractive to me, but a man who makes a living with his hands is really, really sexy.

So this guy was shorter than me, pretty built, had a slight beer-gut (which I also find sexy in very small doses), and had some kind of crazy scar on the left side of his face that looked maybe like a burn, which just made him that much hotter. He also took a weird liking to me, and kept talking to me in very fast, almost staccato, broken English that I could barely understand, but I kept playing along anyway, laughing at his jokes and trying to make my own without looking like a complete idiot. When he left, he forgot his cap, and when he came back in to get it, it was right next to me on the counter. It had the Longhorns on it, so he started talking to me about how long he's lived in Austin (25 years), and how he was "Texas til I die." Or something. I couldn't quite understand. So then he starts talking to me about how he has two grown children, and even a grandchild and how old he is. So I ask how old he is and he tells me 40, but then adds that his girlfriend is 19. He started laughing about how she gets really jealous and checks up on him constantly, and he was all, "I'm just an old, ugly man, I don't know why she gets jealous. I guess I got something she wants." He then leans in very close to me and says, "She wants my dick. And my tongue." And then laughs hysterically.

1. I found this both repugnant and arousing. As I do with most things.

2. I really wanted to say to him, "You better be careful what you say around me; you're talking to a very lonely man."

3. It always sort of amazes and mystifies me when I can effectively "pass" for straight, no matter how short a time period it may be. I feel like I just pretty much walk around with a neon sign above my head, flashing QUEER! QUEER! over and over again. But I guess if you don't actually know me, and you don't really think about such things, it may just never occur to you. But I feel like these days it occurs to everybody all the time. But maybe not.

Which brings me to my next Mexico item, which is that George Strait's new single is one of my favorite songs ever. It's called "On the seashores of Old Mexico," and tells the tale of a man running from the law in Tucson who crosses the border into Mexico, escapes, meets a young senorita also escaping (but from her husband), and they live happily ever after. The chorus goes:

But she loved a gringo
my red hair and lingo
that's all that I needed to know.
I found what I needed on the seashores of old Mexico.


It's so fucking good. There's also an Eddie Raven song I hear a lot, but I think it's old, about a man whose girlfriend leaves him, so he goes to Mexico. What is it with country singers and Mexico? Is this a new thing, or has it been around awhile? Is it the whole outsider image that country singers like so much to portray when they're not singing about God? They're all convicts and rebels and America is just too small and staunch to hold them or something? Anyway, the chorus of the Eddie Raven song goes:

I'm eatin' right and I'm feelin' good.
Doin' everything I said I would.
I shoulda left a long time ago.
Who needs you, I've got Mexico?


Hmm. Very prescient for me. Maybe I'll find what I need in the mountains of old Mexico.

No comments: