Thursday, May 25, 2006

You seem pretty young to be searching for that kind of fun



Yesterday, amidst our touring of downtown Monterrey and museum-going, these, like, 4 girls decided to adopt me. They're from St. Eds, but I don't know any of them, and none of them are over 21. When I told them last night I was 29, they were all, like, whoooah, like they'd never met a 29-year-old before. One of them replied, "We must seem like little kids to you." No comment from the peanut gallery. I like them, though, and it's nice to have more or less complete strangers approaching me, asking me if I want to go get drinks with them after dinner. So I do. We go to a bar where I buy a pina colada for 60 pesos that's the size of my fucking head. We pass a group of men on the street that all whistle and hoot (common Mexican behavior, I'm already learning; the men literally leer), and one of the girls says, "I don't know, Ryan, maybe they were whistling at you. You are excessively pretty." And the girls laugh. Um...awkward. And there's "club night" tonight, apparently, and tomorrow night, and saturday night, and they've all insisted that I come with them.

So here's what I don't know, and probably it doesn't matter: do they know I don't go to their church? Have they decided to befriend me because they can smell the gay and they like that, or is it because of more prurient interests, or is it maybe neither, that maybe they just thought I seemed nice and standoffish, and they're being friendly? Am I being ridiculous for even caring? Probably, because they're nice and they make an effort to include me, and I appreciate it, and despite the fact that not one of them is even 21, they're pretty smart kids. It just gives me this weird feeling of being the camp counselor or something. Like, I have to walk this fine line between sort of being the responsible example, and just totally cutting loose. Not that I plan on getting shitty and stupid in a foreign city, but you know what I mean? Maybe not. In other words, I guess, I feel that if I don't act like an adult, and act like the 10 years older than them that I am, then I seem pathetic or something. Anyway, way overanalyzing.

My roommate also arrived last night about 7:05, just in time to wake me up from my accidental 2-hour nap and get to dinner. Which started at 7. He seems real nice. His name's Jason, he's from Birmingham, but goes to school at Carnegie Mellon and hates it, because they don't encourage anyone to actually think, and he calls it a "factory of mechanized thinking." He also hates people from the Northeast, he said. He described us as "two friendly southern boys." He's shy, and kind of mumbles, but he seems cool, and easy to get along with. We're already talking about maybe taking a bus to the beach some weekend while we're here. Assuming there's any time.

Not much else to tell at this point. I registered for my Spanish class this morning, and I think my professor is taking us out again this afternoon, but I don't know where anyone is. Maybe I should go see if I can find anyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, a sea cucumber could figure out that you're gay in about .5 seconds.

They're adopting you because you're nice and fun! And they probably feel you're non-threatening (being gay and not whistling at them), so that makes them like you even more. I'm glad you have a gaggle of girlfriends.