Friday, May 26, 2006

We All Feel Better in the Dark

Earlier today I got quite a scare when I tried to withdraw money from the ATM, and it wouldn't let me. Of course stupid Bank of America froze my account as soon as they saw funds being withdrawn from Mexico, even though I had already given them a heads-up about it. It wasn't too much trouble to call them and tell them they were morons, but it freaked me out for a bit.

The Tec took us on a bus tour of Monterrey today that was nice. I already knew that it was the richest city in Mexico, but it also contains the richest neighborhood in Latin America, which they drove us through. It was nice, obviously, but honestly, I wasn't floored by the wealth or anything. Maybe we just didn't see enought of it or something. It seems like a fun place to go spend an afternoon rummaging around in the shopping, though.

On the tour, I sat next to Denise, one of The Girls. She's a tiny little Vietnamese girl that wears gigantic sunglasses and makes snide remarks about the general student body at St. Edwards ("It's mostly a bunch of really rich kids with daddy's credit cards, but they don't take showers, so they think they're cool.") We also got to talking about TV, and of course we both love Sex and the City. One of the other girls brought a bunch of the DVD's, so we decided we needed to start having a Sex and the City night once a week. There's a movie theater on the bottom floor of the dorm that you can reserve and watch whatvever you want on DVD, so maybe that would be a fun place to do it. My professor also brought a whole box load of DVD's I'm curious to thumb through.

For dinner a bunch of us went to this hamburger stand in the parking lot of strip mall about a block from campus, which was pretty tasty. I got to sit next to the really hot French guy that everyone's whispering about. After the course is over, he's traveling through Latin America for another 6 weeks, then going to New York, about which he is very excited. I told him he would love it, and that I'd never been to Paris, but that I'd heard they had a very similar feel. He looked at me skeptically and said, in his adorable broken English, "We will see."

Tonight we're going to another dance club, and then tomorrow it's >Horsetail Falls State Park. I'm very excited to do that!

All right, gotta run. The bus waits.

No comments: